Monday, November 28, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!!

This morning we woke up to 3 inches of snow!!!! So it begins.


We had 2 different Thanksgiving meals this week... you better believe I ate my heart out. Also, we were able to eat with K____ and K____! That was so fun! And of course my favorite Mansfield's took us in :) Sister Bueno joined in the fun at one point too! 




 
Thanksgiving gave me a much needed chance to set some goals to be more grateful. I take a lot for granted. Sometimes, I think the Lord is hesitant to give us blessings and miracles if we're going to be rude when we get them and never say a simple 'thank you'. He has emotions too, even though He is Perfect and Glorified. If you gave a gift to someone, and you spent a lot of time and thought on it, but they were like "eh, this is nice I guess" and set it down without a second glance to it... wouldn't you feel a little hurt? You just spent all this time on the gift for them!  But imagine you give this same gift to someone who immediately goes "oh my goodness, this is amazing! Thank you so much, you didn't have to! I love it." You feel awesome inside, don't you? 9 times out of 10, I'd bet you'd be much more willing to give another gift to that grateful person than you would to the one who didn't care.

But I learned something more about gratitude this week.

I used to think that it was a little odd that God wanted so much thanks and recognition... it sounds blasphemous, but I thought it was a little prideful. I mean, God is God, so He can do what He wants I guess... But then it hit me this week, the real reason!
 
God's entire purpose is to make us happy. Moses 1:39 says, "For behold, this is my work and my glory- to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." So He gave us the commandment to give thanks in all things not because it's for Him, but it's for OUR sake. Being grateful makes US happy, and able to see more of life's beauties. Alma 37:37 says: "Counsel with the Lord in all they doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."
It's another key to obtaining the rest of Christ-like attributes, and it's key to happiness! That's why thanksgiving at all times is a commandment.

Also, be sure to look on LDS.org for #LighttheWorld. It's the new Christmas video, but also a challenge to do a Christ-like thing every day for 25 days, so we can do our part in 'lighting the world'. It's an amazing video and a fun challenge- December 1st is a worldwide day of service. Join in!



Have another awesome week, everyone! Stay safe if you're in an area with snow!
 
Love,
 
Sister Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment